The Mexican FM3 visa allows you to live and work in the Mexico for one year. Additionally, this visa permits you to open a Mexican bank account in your name.
It is not uncommon for FM3 visa applications to be rejected at first attempt. Therefore, it is very important to have the help of a Mexican immigration lawyer to help you with the visa process.
The FM3 visa has a total duration of one year, after which it must be renewed. In Mexico City, the application is processed at the National Institute of Immigration located in Polanco. If you’re not in Mexico City, you will have to go to one of the other immigration offices. You can check out the other offices here.
Tips to facilitate the FM3 visa process
- It is best to call the office in advance so you can come prepared.
- Be sure to go early as it can get very busy later in the day.
- Bring photocopies of ALL your document
Documentation needed for the FM3 visa
- Official immigration application filled out and signed.
- Original passport and copy.
- Original immigration card. This is the card that you filled out on the plane and presented when you passed through customs. Be careful as you will get fined if you lose it.
- Original and copy of proof of residency. This can be any utility bill where you reside, which can be provided by your landlord or hotel where you are staying.
- Seven passport style photos of 2.5 x 3 cm. Four should be head shots and three right-sided profile shots without glasses, jewelry or make up, and with a white background.
- As an independent professional or business investor, you should have a written letter in Spanish, addressed to the INM. This letter will request the issuance of the FM3 visa and will state the purpose of your stay and the activities you will conduct.
Once you have gathered all your documents and turned them in, they will give you a document with a username and password so you can follow the application process online. In Mexico City, the FM3 visa application process can take between 15 to 30 labor days to process. It’s important to take into account the time to renew your visa, also considering extra time in case there are any mistakes.
Once you have your FM3 visa, you must register with the Ministry of Finance before you start your business activities.