Embarking on a business venture in the Cayman Islands promises a unique blend of Caribbean charm and international business opportunities. In this tropical paradise, entrepreneurs can find a favorable environment for launching and expanding their enterprises while enjoying the benefits of a tax-efficient jurisdiction.
To ensure financial stability and seamless international transactions, opening a corporate bank account in the Cayman Islands is crucial.
Table of Contents
With its alluring appeal to foreign investors, the Cayman Islands proudly hosts a range of esteemed banking institutions. Keep reading to discover how to open a corporate bank account in the Cayman Islands.
See also: Company formation Cayman Islands
Can a Foreigner Open a Bank Account in the Cayman Islands?
Opening a bank account in the Cayman Islands doesn’t require residency or prior visits to the Caribbean Islands. You can open a non-resident corporate account with certain Cayman Islands banks from anywhere, eliminating the need for in-person visits or meetings with bank representatives. Once you establish your corporate account, you’ll gain access to the full spectrum of financial services the bank offers.
What Do You Need to Open a Corporate Bank Account in the Cayman Islands?
To initiate the process of opening a corporate bank account in the Cayman Islands, you will be required to complete a comprehensive application and provide the following information:
- Full incorporation documentation.
- A written request, drafted on company letterhead, outlining an overview of your business (including clients, staff numbers, and revenue sources) and the purpose of the account.
- Bank references from your current banking institution.
- A Certificate of Incorporation, duly certified by a Notary Public.
- Certified copies of the Articles and Memorandum of Association, are also notarized.
- Annual reports, financial statements, auditors’ reports, or a business plan.
- Certificate of Good Standing if your business is older than one year.
- A Register of Members, Officers, and Directors, either certified by the registered office or a Notary Public.
- Identification details for each ultimate beneficial owner, director, and signatory, supported by certified copies of their passports and proof of residential addresses.
- If your business operates within the Cayman Islands, a copy of the current Trade and Business license.
- Professional references from an accounting or law firm and a bank, demonstrating a good relationship spanning over three years.
- Details about the nature and dollar volume of expected transactions, along with the source of funding for initial and subsequent deposits. This information can be provided via a Business Plan for new companies or the latest Financial Statements for established ones.
- A tax declaration form.
- All directors, members, and signatories must supply the necessary information for a personal bank account, including a certified copy of the partnership agreement.
- If there are more than a nominal number of shareholders, the bank will require identification and references for principal shareholders who own 10% or more of the shareholding, as well as directors and officers responsible for account operations.
- For companies incorporated in other countries, notarized documents are necessary to verify the legitimacy of the company.
- Each Cayman bank may have a minimum deposit requirement for opening a business account.
For precise document requirements tailored to your specific case, it is advisable to consult a local banking expert in the Cayman Islands.
Match Your Business Needs with the Perfect Bank in the Cayman Islands
Customized to suit your company’s specific needs, select banks in the Cayman Islands provide enhanced flexibility for tasks such as setting up investment accounts, accommodating adaptable payment methods, and facilitating international transfers. You should ensure that the bank you choose aligns with your business requirements.
Here are five highly regarded banks in the Cayman Islands:
- Cayman National Bank: Cayman National Bank, established in 1974 and headquartered in Grand Cayman, offers a wide range of international and domestic financial services, including investment, online banking, administration, management, premier banking, company formation, trust services, and fund management. It manages approximately KYD1.463 trillion in total assets and generated revenue of about KYD46.96 million in the first half of 2018, with a net income of around KYD22.32 million in the same year.
- Cainvest Bank and Trust Limited: Cainvest Bank and Trust Limited, founded in 1994 and holding a Category A banking license, acquired Inter-trust Bank (Cayman) Limited in its inception year and later transformed into Cainvest International Bank Limited. In 2015, it rebranded as Cainvest Bank and Trust Limited, with its headquarters in Georgetown. This bank specializes in investment products and services to institutional clients and high-net-worth individuals.
- Merrill Lynch Bank and Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd.: Merrill Lynch Bank and Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd. holds a Category A license and offers a range of financial products, including client deposits, interbank placements, loans, and forex transactions. In 2017, it reported a net income of approximately KDR 13,243 and total assets of KDR 4.071 million.
- Fidelity Bank (Cayman) Ltd.: Incorporated in 1980 with a Category A license, Fidelity Bank (Cayman) Ltd. provides a comprehensive suite of financial services, including insurance, international and domestic banking. As of the year ended 2017, the bank reported total assets of B$627.770 million.
- Alexandria Bancorp Ltd.: Established in 1990, Alexandria Bancorp Ltd. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Guardian Capital Group, headquartered in Toronto, Canada. This bank specializes in offering Wealth Management, Private Banking, and Trust and Corporate services, making it one of the prominent foreign banks operating on the island.
Team Up with a Local Expert for a Smoother Process
It is advisable to engage with law firms or consultants when opening a corporate bank account in the Cayman Islands. While the procedure is generally uncomplicated, certain aspects require careful attention, making collaboration with a local partner essential to receive comprehensive support throughout the process.
Biz Latin Hub can help you open a corporate bank account in the Caymen Islands
Biz Latin Hub offers comprehensive market entry and back-office solutions across Latin America and the Caribbean, boasting a presence in key cities across the region.
We have also formed reliable partnerships in numerous other markets, positioning us uniquely to assist with multi-jurisdictional market entry and seamless cross-border operations.
As well as knowledge about how to open a corporate bank account in the Cayman Islands, our portfolio of services includes hiring & PEO accounting & taxation, company formation, bank account opening, and corporate legal services.